You’ve entered your 50s and things in your life are about to change:
- If you have a family, chances are the kids are moving on with their lives and don’t need your day to day input.
- If you have a career, you might be noticing that you’re not as enthused about what you’re doing-and that maybe it’s time for a change.
- if you have a circle of longtime friends that you no longer have a lot in common with, then perhaps you need to find others who enjoy your same interests.
If any or all of these life changes are happening, then the big question is:
HOW DO YOU MOVE FORWARD AND EMBRACE CHANGE??
I realized a few years back that I needed to make some changes in my life-I was no longer fulfilled with my routine and wanted to change things up. I admit, it’s not always easy to make changes in our lives-but it’s definitely a smart thing to do!
Here are some of the ways I took steps to embrace change in my life:
- Take advantage of a volunteer opportunity that is of interest and is NEW TO YOU! I have always been one to get involved in various non-profit programs throughout my life, however I was looking for something new and different. Through some research, I found Minds Matter.
I became a mentor with the Denver chapter of Minds Matter and have enjoyed every minute of it-all of the people involved with this organization are wonderful and it’s become a highlight of my week!
2. I have come to realize that my job is really just one portion of who I am and what I like to do. At this point in my life, I am not “climbing the corporate ladder” -rather, just doing the best I can do on each project and ALWAYS looking for new types of projects to get involved with-to make an impact or make a difference is now my biggest goal. For those of you who have always had the desire to do something totally different in your life, this may be the time to take the leap and pursue it!
3. I have done my best to meet new people and spend time with them. My husband and I moved in the last year and have met great new neighbors and friends, adding to our social circle. I have recently participated in new tennis clinics and have met new partners on the court. I changed gyms and have enjoyed my new workouts as well as the people. Whatever you enjoy doing, find new ways to meet people -it will enrich your life!
4. We have begun to travel again internationally- and it’s been great! When you have a young family, your travel priorities can change. We had a fun time taking our kids to many places, however now it’s time for us to focus on where we want to go and what we want to see-and we are making that a priority! Plan a trip to a place you’ve always wanted to see!